At Doggie Detail, we love learning fun and interesting facts about dogs! Here is a list of our Top 5 Favourite Fun and Interesting Facts About Dogs:
1. Walking your dog can sometimes be a chore (we know because we provide our dog waste removal service to some successful dog walking businesses in the GVRD of BC). Imagine walking 27 dogs at one time! In September 2008, Melissa Crispin Piche of Alberta did just that!! She set the Guinness World Record for the number of dogs walked simultaneously by one person and walked all 27 of those dogs for 43 minutes and 17 seconds.
2. Do you think your dog has a long tongue? Again, according to the Guinness World Records, the longest dog tongue ever recorded belonged to a pooch named Brandy who lived until 2002 in Michigan, USA. Brandy’s tongue was 17 inches (that’s 43 centimeters) long!
3. On those hot dog days of summer, dogs sweat primarily through their feet and cool themselves through panting. Pet Place describes how your body is much more efficient at cooling down than the body of your four-legged friend.
4. Speaking of dog days, the expression “Dog Days of Summer“ is not actually related to dogs and their inability to cope with the summer heat. Rather, this phrase is related to the Dog Star (Sirius) that can be found in the constellation Canis Major. The period each year referred to as ‘dog days‘ is from July 3-August 11 each year when Sirius rises at the same time as the sun.
5. Have you ever wondered if you are accurately interpreting your dog’s mood? Check out the wagometer invented in 2003 by Dr. Roger Mugford (a prominent animal behaviourist from the UK). Apparently the wagometer can gauge the mood of a dog based on the number of tail wags combined with their speed and vigour.
Do you have any fun facts about dogs to add to this list?
Leave a comment -we’d love to hear them!